Digital Twin System Interoperability Framework
Anto Budiardjo, Doug Migliori
DIgital Twin Consortium
The seven key concepts of the DTC Digital Twin System Interoperability Framework are:
- System-Centric Design – enables collaboration across and within disciplines—mechanical, electronic, and software—creating systems of systems within a domain and across multiple domains.
- Model-Based Approach – with millions and billions of interconnections implemented daily, designers can codify, standardize, identify, and reuse models in various use cases in the field.
- Holistic Information Flow – facilitates an understanding of the real world for optimal decision-making, where the “world” can be a building, utility, city, country, or other dynamic environment.
- State-Based Interactions – the state of an entity (system)encompasses all the entity’s static and dynamic attribute values at a point in time.
- Federated Repositories – optimal decision-making requires accessing and correlating distributed, heterogeneous information across multiple dimensions of a digital twin, spanning time and lifecycle.
- Actionable Information – ensures that information exchanged between constituent systems enables effective action.
- Scalable Mechanisms – ensures interoperability mechanism(s)are inherently scalable from the simplest interoperation of two systems to the interoperability of a dynamic coalition of distributed, autonomous, and heterogeneous systems within a complex and global ecosystem.
Why it’s relevant to Nextspace
This article is of interest to Nextspace Partners who face significant interoperability challenges. Nextspace’s platform may solve this challenge but it is still useful for Partners to understand the issue before using Nextspace to solve it.
Our guess is that the Digital Twin Consortium may view Nextspace as a “Federated Repository”.
- Information distributed across multiple systems
- Agnostic to information location
More recommended reads
A quick recap of the stages of Industrial Revolution - from 1760
An article that seeks to distance metaverse hype from the value of industrial digital twins
Dr Michael Grieves
IOT Solutions World Congress 2023
The value of Digital Twins can only be realized if Digital Twins and their virtual environment contain the same data and resulting information as their corresponding Physical Twins and real-world environment. This means that the need for more extensive, faster, and richer sensing of the physical world will dramatically increase as valuable use cases proliferate. In addition, we will evolve from working in physical or virtual environments to integrating and working simultaneously in both environments. Dr. Grieves discusses his views on the opportunities and issues of this evolution.