Value Untangled : Accelerating radical growth through interoperability
Emma McGuigan, Jan van den Bremen, Brian McKillips, Pradeep Roy, Surya Mukherjee
The article overview is summarised by the authors as:
- A high level of interoperability—when enterprise applications work together—creates long-lasting value, accelerating growth and transformation.
- Companies with high interoperability grew revenue 6X faster than their peers with low interoperability.
- Interoperability reduces time spent toggling between applications, which can free up nearly two hours of employees’ workdays.
- For high interoperability, leverage the cloud, utilize composable tech and focus on meaningful collaboration.
Why it’s relevant to Nextspace
The benefit of reading this article for Nextspace Partners lies in its structured depth, clear articulation of key benefits, with some quantified metrics. Here are some:
- Companies with high interoperability are 11% more likely to sustain compressed transformations(where a companies have to transform multiple parts of their business at the same time or execute a single large transformation much faster than ever before).
- Companies with high interoperability grew revenue 6X faster than their peers with low interoperability and are set to unlock an additional five percentage points in annual revenue growth.
- Companies with high interoperability are also more efficient, successful at customer experience, productive and sustainable.
The paper also mentions case studies:
- GN Group
- Life Science industry
- Travel industry
A third benefit is that the paper examines obstacles to interoperability.
- Enterprises have more choices today due to the large number of cloud-based applications available.
- More voices are involved in technology decision making.
- Other enterprises—60% of respondents in the study—are held back from improving interoperability becausethey struggle to align their application strategy with overall business goals.
- Another 57% cite lack of buy-in from senior leadership.
- 44% lack a clear ROI or business case.
- 34% believe interoperability is simply too expensive.
Finally the paper recommends three key actions:
- Leverage the cloud
- Invest in composable tech
- Focus on meaningful collaboration.
More recommended reads
A quick recap of the stages of Industrial Revolution - from 1760
An article that seeks to distance metaverse hype from the value of industrial digital twins
Dr Michael Grieves
IOT Solutions World Congress 2023
The value of Digital Twins can only be realized if Digital Twins and their virtual environment contain the same data and resulting information as their corresponding Physical Twins and real-world environment. This means that the need for more extensive, faster, and richer sensing of the physical world will dramatically increase as valuable use cases proliferate. In addition, we will evolve from working in physical or virtual environments to integrating and working simultaneously in both environments. Dr. Grieves discusses his views on the opportunities and issues of this evolution.